Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Learning to Rely on the Lord

District P-day last week
(l-r) Back: Elders Williams, Andrew and Miller
Middle: me, Sister Petersen, and Elder Rappleye
Front: Sister DeWidt and Sister Banda
(who was my MTC companion)
This past week has been an amazing but difficult one. I have had some fun experiences, but I've also struggled a lot with depression. From recent reflection I have found that I need to understand how to fulfill my purpose each day as a missionary in order to best combat depression. So I've decided to pray a lot and ask Heavenly Father what He would have me do to fulfill my purpose every day. It may be a different way every time I ask, or I may need to do a lot of things constantly. Whatever answer I get when I pray in the morning, during my studies, throughout the day, and at night before going to bed, I do my best to find a way to act on the answer I receive. It isn't the easiest thing to have to rely so much on someone else besides me, but I know if I rely on God, He will strengthen me. I've simply gained a strong testimony that the scripture Luke 1:37, "For with God nothing shall be impossible" is very true.

Besides my own personal journey through depression and understanding my purpose, we have had a fulfilling week. We got to do service at Norwich University at an event called, "Clothing Drop 'N Swap." It was fun to be able to help out on a college campus and to also get to know so many people (and Sister Petersen got some new cute clothes, I avoiding getting clothes that would just add weight to my suitcase, but I did get a couple of small things haha). We basically helped collect donations of hundreds of different articles of clothing and lay them out on table for anyone to browse through. There was a dollar admission fee, but then you could take as much as you wanted. It was amazing to see how many people came and got so much, and even then we were able to donate at least two dozen big bags of clothing to the Salvation Army. I love how people in the community find so many ways to help serve others. I feel it brings such a special spirit of both unity and charity.

I think I've discovered recently how vital it is to rely on God for so many things. Not just spiritually and emotionally, but also physically and mentally. In the Book of Mormon, the prophet Moroni explains, " if men come unto me [Jesus Christ] I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I know that through Christ's atoning sacrifice we can all become stronger, every day of our lives we have the ability to become stronger in so many ways. That is what I'm focusing on this week, and maybe I can help someone else do something similar in their lives.

Sincerely, Sister Tyler

(Sis. Tyler's mom here)
I'm just sayin'. . . .
(You can tell it's
on OUR minds) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment